Book Bub featured promotions are the gold standard for book promotion, but how do their cheaper alternatives do?
This is a follow up to my previous blog post called “How To Get Your First 10 Sales.”
Note: I ran all promotions with Second Sight: The Decay priced at 99c for the entire promotional period. This also includes follow up sales. So give or take 1-2 sales for days after the sale into account.
Good Paid Promos –
- Book Adrenaline – $25 – (3/29/19) = 22 sales
- Book Cave (4/4/19) – $20 = 18 Sales
- Reader IQ + Booksends – (3/30/19) = 24 sales
Free Promo Sites (Results Not Measured):
- Awesome Gang
- Book Hippo
- Bargain Book subreddits
- Reddit (r/wroteabook, r/ebookdeals, r/99cEbooks,)
Bad Returns –
- BargainBooksy – $25 – (3/25/19) = 0 Copies – Refunded.
- BK Knights (Round 1) – $5 run – 0 sales – Refunded.
- BKKnights (Round 2) – $12 – 2 sales – Refunded.
- Book Rebel – $9 – March 26th = 1 sale.
- Book Runes (4/3/19) – $25 = 1 sales – Refunded.
- Fussy Librarian – $18 – (4/7/19) = 1 Sales – No refunds.
- Many Books – $19 (4/4/19) – 7 sales – emailed; no reply.
Do Not Use Again –
- Amazon Ads (Various bids) with 1000 keywords = $227+ cost, $77 gross income.
- Book Bub CPC ads – default 75c bid = $13 cost, $0 gross income.
- Melanie Rockett – $15 = No email replies, no receipt, nothing sent back. Disputed on PayPal. Refunded by PayPal.
Did Not Hear Back:
- Indie Author News
- Indie Book Of The Day
To answer a question from Reddit user “AlinaBanks” about Amazon Ads ROI:
The problem with Amazon was I wasn’t selling it at 99c there the entire time. I had it between $0.99 & $9.99 depending on discount periods. Tried it at 99c on some days. The sales just never happened with Amazon Ads. Those numbers reflect 10 months. A lot of months I’d end up paying 20-60 dollars to get zero sales. My numbers might be skewed with Amazon since I didn’t include March which was about 100 bucks roughly.
I can’t predict your results due to the many factors that go into if people buy your book or not. These results are not absolute. None of the sites that gave poor results reflect on the company itself.
Follow up sales the day after each promotion were between 0-4 sales.
Take a minute to look at my post about free / low cost book marketing options here.